It will be surprising if you hear somebody say that they haven’t heard about ‘Digital Marketing’ yet. That is because, with the expansion of businesses and increasing competition in the market (both locally and globally), the role of Digital Marketing is quite essential for the long run of any business which has an online presence. Digital Marketing came into existence for three major reasons: the excessive usage of the internet among the audience, smartphones that are mere irreplaceable and well optimized user-friendly mobile apps such as Twitter or Instagram. These three things changed the world entirely to go digital today.
As we evidently see, most businesses are busy doing their operations and hence fail to invest quality time in understanding the audience behaviour. This not only misses out on targeting the right set of audience but also there is a high chance of losing them to your competitors, which is worse. Here come the scope and prominence of a ‘digital marketer’.
- Why is a Digital Marketer so important for a business?
- Scope of Digital Marketing in India
- Tasks of a Digital Marketing Professional
- Few Skills to get started
Why is a Digital Marketer so important for a business?
Higher Conversion Rates: Today all businesses that rely on modern marketing methods are able to measure the conversion rate in real-time. This is simply used to identify how many views have actually been converted to leads. Social media campaigns and Email blasts are the quickest way of having higher conversion rates.
Effectual Customer Support: For any business to have a long run, they need to work on establishing a good image before their audience, which is an undeniable factor than how it was a few years ago. The significance of Digital marketing today lies in offering you multiple ways to establish a personal rapport with your customer base.
Build Brand Trust: The presence of your business brand on various social media platforms gives the option to customers to rate your services as per their level of experience. A positive and favourable review by a satisfied customer causes the new ones to immediately convert.
Higher earning potential: As per a study conducted by IPSOS Hong Kong in accordance with Google has shown that compared to traditional methods, digital marketing used by business is known to generate 2.8 times more revenue than before! Doesn’t that sound really cool? For many organizations which are formulating their marketing strategies keeping the budget in mind, this also means a faster movement towards the growth path they want to be on.
Digital Marketing is Cost-Effective: Digital Marketing is one of the smartest methods to promote business today. It simply gives you the scope to reach out to multiple customers at the same time through numerous platforms and that too within your budget. You can plan your marketing strategy using the allotted budget and execute accordingly. If there is a desire not to extend the budget then you can always target niche audiences who you know would definitely like what you offer.
Scope of Digital Marketing in India
In India, the scope of the digital marketing industry is extremely bright at present and the boom phase will stay for many years, no doubt. Today no business can think of surviving in the market without a web presence, thus the positive fallout is the creation of thousands of job opportunities with job growth surpassing other industries.
Massive employment opportunity: As more and more entities join the online bandwagon for a wider market-reach, the job opportunities in digital marketing are ever-growing. Unlike other sectors of employment, this arena is an all-season field.
Immense Flexibility: There is umpteen number of sub-branches within the digital marketing field such as SEO analyst, Social media marketing executive, online reputation management executive, digital marketing manager, PPC specialist and so on. And so is the remuneration package range.
Higher paid job profile: With an ongoing need for digital skills and professionals for the businesses, the question of money is one that arises quite often. The digital marketing profession is one of the highest paid job profiles in the world today, along with Big Data. According to the statistics revealed by Google, the national average salary of the Senior Digital Marketing Manager profile gets $95,415 and that in India is around Rs. 447, 346.
Tasks of a Digital Marketing Professional
There are a number of responsibilities that a business expects while recruiting a Digital Marketer. Some of it includes the following:
- To oversee all customer-facing digital communication channels and work accordingly.
- Track growth and maintain analytics reports to provide up-to-date information to upper management.
- Develop and implement strategies for new media and digital marketing teams.
- Coordinate online marketing campaigns on all social and digital media platforms including Instagram and Facebook.
- Build effective teams, manage multiple projects, and supervise collaboration between departments in order to drive positive business growth.
Few Skills to get started:
- A basic website like WordPress working knowledge.
- Knowledge of coding: an additional advantage
- Content – All types of content including Blogging, Video, Audio, Photo Editing (resources below) GIF, Creative Writing, Copy Writing
- Basic webmaster guidelines for SEO purpose. What to do, most importantly what not to do should be clear.
- Latest methodology and how to search, to understand how social media works
- How Google ads work, how to run a basic campaign. How Ad Rank, Quality score works
- How all social media platforms works: Knowing the algorithm and what types of content work for each platform.
- How to run and measure email campaigns
- How to be creative and tell a powerful story through Content Marketing Strategy
- How to measure Google Analytics, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter Insights and what actions can you take from those insights.
The future of digital marketing is quite promising at present. However, while brands were earlier competing with each other’s marketing strategy now the focus has shifted to the entire internet. This is the time when brands will have to use different methods and unique ideas to actually delve and make an impact on their customers. Surviving in such cut-throat competition is only possible if you can devise and implement a marketing strategy which portrays your uniqueness and gives the customers a reason to choose and stick with you.